Friday, June 23, 2006

I am a mommy again!!!!

Isn't it cute? It is a baby Robin and I almost ran it over at the end of my driveway at 10:38 yesterday morning. He is almost ready to fly, but he can't fly yet, but he tries so hard. It is like watching my children learn to walk all over again.

I have a bird cage that he is living in at the moment until I feel that it is safe to release him. I have been feeding him cat food (I know, very weird), but apparently it is the most nutritous for them. My middle child said "but don't cats eat birds?" Like maybe if he eats catfood cats will love him more?

I love feeding him, I have to put tiny pieces on my finger and shove it down its throat like his mama does. He flaps his wings and grabs every morsel with his mouth. Then he has a drink of water and poops and he goes fast asleep until he is hungry again about an hour later.

I tried putting him next to my cockatiel, but the cockatiel was trying to figure out how to open his cage to get to the Robin....it was rather comical. I moved the Robin, didn't want to make the cockatiel nutso.

Now notice at the beginning I said I almost ran him over at 10:38 in the morning? Well today I came back to my house to feed the Robin at 10:38 and there was a boxer turtle in the middle of the road at the end of my driveway, so I had to go pick him up and move him to the woods.

So what do you think I will find at 10:38 tomorrow morning? Not sure, hopefully nothing...lol.

2 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Angela said...

adorable. And so sweet of you to take him in and help.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Doodlebugs' Mama said...

Aw--so cute! We found a little robin when I was probably 13 years old and my mom and I were both surprised when we found out how much work that little thing was. I totally remember the every hour feedings. (I remember feeding him catfood, too. I think we also fed him really mushy oatmeal.) And it's amazing how much they poop! One day we set him out on our balcony post (about 5 feet from the ground) and he just took off. His name was Fred. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home