Sunday, April 30, 2006

Hometown Pride!!

I seem to have it now that I am older. I still live in the same small town I grew up in. My school has always had about 250 kids k-12 year after year. Class sizes have ranged from 12 - 20, though my sons class has been the biggest class that they have ever encountered and that being 35 kids.

This is the type of place where if you have a function to go to dressing up consists of clean blue jeans and a nice top.

During the winter months we have about 2,500 locals and in the summer time it is up to 10,000. It is amazing and unbelievable. I used to welcome these summer people when I was younger, but now that I am older I want them to go away.

They are the reasons that our property values have gone through the roof. They are the reason I don't enjoy the Easter Egg Hunt or the Fireworks or the few other things that go on throughout the year.

I get tired of the local mom and pop store that is run by locals gets put down in a negative way and the non local business is treated like royalty.

I want this little island to go back to what it was. We are going to lose this place to second homeowners who don't care. They don't have my hometown pride.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger drawdawn said...

hey, I still live in the same small town I grew up in too. and over the past 10 years we've gotten alot more of the "summer people". people who've bought cabins next to the lake we live by. more traffic, skyrocketing property taxes - i know what you mean.

i have 3 kids too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home