Monday, April 24, 2006

The Easter Bunny isn't real, is he?

Ugh, the dreaded question I don't want to answer.

My 9 year old told me before Easter that the Easter Bunny isn't real. I asked him why he thought that and he said "cause I know"

He then told me that there isn't a Santa either and he learned that at school in a book. Oh great, what kind of books are they giving these kids?

My 10 year old only knows that the tooth fairy isn't real. She hasn't asked about all the others, yet.

I don't know what it is, but I don't want to have this conversation with them....I don't want to tell them that we lied all these years.

I don't think anyone ever told me, I think I just learned it and kept my mouth shut. That is what I want my kids to do, is that wrong?

I feel like if they know, the magic will be gone, I don't want that. I like that magic and even though I know there isn't really a Santa, I still believe....lol.

Can I be a kid and stomp my feet and just say "NO"? Please!!!!

2 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger pilgrimchick said...

I remember exactly how I figured out that all of those things "weren't real."

I remember my mother telling me after I asked for something that she couldn't give to me, that one of those figures (I am forgetting which one) wasn't real. Then, after thinking about it, I realized that none of them could be if that one wasn't. I remember being disappointed that the "magic" wasn't real, and there were a lot of questions that revolved around imagination going on in my head.

Look at me, intellectualizing the thoughts of a nine year old...

Anyway, what I did gain from all of that was a great deal of respect and admiration for my parents. If it wasn't the Easter Bunny or Santa, it was them. They were doing all of that for me--so instead of distributing the responsibility among a group of characters, my parents held down the fort on all of them. It gave me a window into how much they cared about me and my siblings, and I wouldn't trade that for a hundred Santas or Tooth Fairies.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Special K said...

Thanks slskenyon...your words mean alot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home